RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore/Ocean now available 2017/18

Professionally - A kind of make it happen person - Acquired by a lifelong appetite for all things nautical, ocean sailing, navigation and meteorology.

Information on Skipper

Nationality: British. Languages: English, French. Non-Smoker. Sea Miles: 75,000 - 80,000. Current location: Scotland.

Skills and Qualifications

1964 – 1972 – Royal Navy: At the time, full certification as a Coxswain, Navigator for motor and sailing vessels up to 110’.

28th February 2002 – MCA/RYA Yachtmaster Offshore with Auxiliary Engines

15th November 2002 – MCA/RYA Ocean Yachtmaster Theory + Royal Navy Practical

09th November 2002 - RYA Sea Survival

07th March 1986 – RYA VHF Radio Telephony

10th December 2002 - Long Range Radio Certificate (Issued by UK Secretary of State)

12th March 2017 – RYA 1st Aid (Renewal)

09th November 2002 - Safety at Sea/Sea Survival

23rd July 2016 - ICC Power/Sail (Renewal)

Detail

A professionally qualified and certificated RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore/Boat Captain, including auxiliary engines. RYA/MCA Ocean Yachtmaster theory certification, but ex naval navigator, including vhf and long-range radio certificates with an added interest in tutoring while on passage with the boat owner.

Yacht deliveries, passage making by coastal hopping, offshore or ocean crossing in a relaxed but engaging atmosphere. Taking on private, corporate and family sailing at all levels from complete novice, to those seeking qualification and mile building.

I started sailing in 1954 and sailing solo since 1963. My passion for ocean sailing and routing and meteorology is well known, including a gold medal presented to me by both the French and Canadian authorities in 2008 for undertaking this work (free of charge), in taking 60 yachts in both directions from La Rochelle – Quebec – La Rochelle. Known as the Grande Traversée de l'Atlantique, this was part of the festivities celebrating the 400th anniversary of the founding of Quebec. This included taking a number of yachts through the eye of massive hurricane Bertha in real time.

I grew up with classic yachts - not so much classic when I was sailing in the 1950's - they were young boats then! If you want the skills of yesterday, but are living in the real world of today's technology requirements for yachts, then you have your man. In the main my yachts have been wooden, but my last ketch constructed in steel, a Suncoast 40, was prepared by a French shipyard for a circumnavigation in the early 2000's.

With plenty of free time since residing on the banks of the Firth of Forth, I give back a lifetime’s sailing experience to assist boat owners/skippers, etc with any sailing requirements they may have. This can be of any duration, from day sailing to ocean passage making.

2016 season included confidential passages, west coast of Scotland, Inverness to Northern Ireland, Edinburgh - Kristiansand - Edinburgh, and Southampton to Gibraltar (owner was not happy with his vessel and returned to Southampton) to name but a few.

2017 to June: Tutoring boat owners between deliveries. Delivery skipper Eemshaven, Holland to Firth of Forth - Scotland via Lowestoft in 56’ steel trawler type 7 days. Delivery/tuition new Hanse 385 Malta to Crete 10 days. Delivery/tuition new Jeanneau 51 Fréjus, France to Malta via Italian west coast 13 days

A standalone niche opportunity is also available, which is exclusive and personal is offered in passage planning and preparing passage plans for any distance. Ocean and offshore routing, weather forecasting and real time instructions are given remotely, if personally not on passage. Quotations given based on actual requirements due to their respective complexities.

Expenses and remuneration are straight forward: All travel from and to Edinburgh and meals on board are the responsibilities of the owner. The rate of remuneration on passage, coastal and offshore, is set between £150/250 per day. Ocean passages are negotiated on an ad-hoc basis.

My ICC for power and sail was renewed in 2016. My First Aid Renewal took place in March, 2017. Several passages have already been quoted for including France to Denmark, Canada to UK and UK to BVI, including undertaking trials and shakedowns of two new builds. I operate on a first come and confirmed basis.

Lived in France for 30+ years and have had a number of my own boats based there.

NB. Having been in a fortunate position of creating an organisation in 1972, specifically for environmental management, sustainable development and renewable energy, at its peak it was in 120 countries and I wrote briefing documents for both the G8 and G20. I stood back and fully retired in 2014.

In 2016 I founded Sailing for a Cause. Its aim is to get more disabled, less-able and less-agile persons sailing offshore and passage making.

I have met and discussed with too many boat owners over the years, who intend to undertake great voyages and visit exotic places, with a vast percentage not being prepared. My strength is to share my experience to allow owners achieve their ambitions while on passage.

Discretion and confidentiality assured at all times.

Martin Parr

Views: 38

Attachments:

Reply to This

New Float Plan Website Launching on the 7th July

Thank you all for using the Float Plan Website. I am excited to announce that the new website is ready! There are many great features help you find a safe boat to sail on. I hope you join us again. I will be sending out an email on the 7th with a link to the new website. 

Latest Activity

Mathias Serinelli updated their profile
Jul 8
Robert replied to J Keith Sowell's discussion Crew Wanted - New Sailboat Owner looking for experienced sailor to help sail from Florida to the Keys and beyond
Jul 8
Ariana updated their profile
Jul 8
Jelitai Edit liked swanpol's discussion Crew Wanted - transatlantic
Jul 7
Kirk K Meuli updated their profile
Jul 7
Roberto Casasola posted a status
"Currently in the big island of Hawai'i. I'd love to island hop the rest of the islands during July and August. Or sail the south pacific."
Jul 7
Roberto Casasola posted a status
"Currently in the big island of Hawai'i. I'd love to do some island hopping to the rest of the islands during July and August. Or sail the so"
Jul 7
Roberto Casasola updated their profile
Jul 7
Eric Mahoney updated their profile
Jul 6
Wouter replied to Tina Krombach's discussion Co Skipper wanted for cruise Cyprus-Alanya-Simi-Rhodes-Cyprus
Jul 6
Wouter liked Tina Krombach's discussion Co Skipper wanted for cruise Cyprus-Alanya-Simi-Rhodes-Cyprus
Jul 6
Romy replied to Julian Francis Roe's discussion Crew Wanted - Female wanted to keep my girlfriend company, Malaysia and Indonesia,
Jul 6
Altan Kayaoz liked John Torgersen's discussion Crew Wanted- Sailing from Port Camargue to Montnegro
Jul 6
Eric Mahoney is now a member of Float plan
Jul 5
Wouter updated their profile
Jul 5
Evan Wright updated their profile
Jul 5

© 2017   Created by Andrew Sanderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service